BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Three

Book Suggestion: The History of Love

Horrid title, I know. But its not a love story in the traditional sense. Its more a story about the history of people. I dont know how to explain it, so Im just going to quote it.

"Shy people carried a little bundle of string in their pockets...but people considered loudmouths had no less need for it, since those used to being overheard by everyone were often at a loss for how to make themselves heard by someone."

"Only after they had charged him with the crime of silence did Babel discover how many kinds of silences existed. When he heard music he no longer listened to the notes, but to the silences in between. When he read a book he gave himself over entirely to commas and semicolons, to the space after the period and before the capital letter of the next sentence. He discovered the places in a room where silence gathered. When people spoke to him, he heard less of what they were saying, and more of what they were not."

"Her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering"

"I filled the sink with soapy water, and washed the dirty pots. And with each pot and pan and spoon I put away, I put away a thought I couldn't bear, until my kitchen and my mind had returned to a state of mutual organization."

"As the rifles were pointed at his chest he wondered if what he had taken for the richness of silence was really the poverty of never being heard."

beautiful. I love it. Please read it.

0 comments: